[Shop-talk] Electrical install questions

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:53:44 MDT 2015

On Aug 1, 2015, at 18:51, John Miller <jem at milleredp.com> wrote:

>> parallel with the studs (where that makes sense, of course), and needs
>> to be 1 1/4 away from the edge.  If it can't be, it has to be
>> protected from nails by a plate,
>
> You mean perpendicular to the stud and if it goes through a hole in the stud
w/o plate it needs to be min 1 1/4 from each face, correct?   You can have
Romex/NM nailed to a stud but you want it to go thru the hole as horizontally
as possible.

That too, but wires run along a framing member needs to be 1 1/4 inches from
the edge or protected by a metal plate. (There's an exception for fishing
after finishing. ). See nec 300-4 (d).

> Also if my old info is still valid don't want to run parallel with any
low-voltage circuits (Cat5/Cat6 or phone, etc.) within (?) distance so as not
to induce 60Hz interference, want to maintain (12in?) clearance and cross LV
circuits perpendicularly.