[Shop-talk] CFC Bulb Failure

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 22:27:54 MDT 2014

> Dark
> scorch marks and the bottom part looked like it had
> overheated and melted
> and the glass assembly was tilted to the side. Anyone ever
> seen something
> like this? Kinda scary!

There is basically a complete DC-DC converter power supply in that base, made as cheaply as possible and stuffed into a very cramped
space.  Yes, they do sometimes fail and overheat; I've seen several of them that are blackened and/or melted.  Seems like they also
tend to get hot when the bulb gets weak.

My brother-in-law tells me that with the LED lights installed at Purdue, the ballast (which is basically the same thing, just
different voltage/current output) is the most common failure.

Randall