[Shop-talk] clone HDD

Fred Katz roadster at astound.net
Sun Apr 14 19:34:04 MDT 2013

I bought a NewerTech USB universal drive adapter, cost me about $27 at the
time. Comes with both USB 3 and USB 2 connectors to your PC or Mac, and you
can plug any HD into the device externally, whether 2.5 3.5 or 5.25 inch
drive. Even has a SATA connector. Extremely easy to connect any HD to it, and
then use clone software that you can get off the Internet. I've used this to
copy drives (I have two of these devices). Also to copy the internal to an
external before swapping them. The only problem I encountered was copying some
15-year-old drives but that probably is not something you would do.

Alternatively, you could do as you said. I connect an external USB drive for
storing all my large videos and picture albums. I changed the preferences on
my applications to point to the external drive for accessing the home folder
for videos and albums. That keeps my laptop internal drive from filling up.

Fred -

On Apr 14, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Dave C <cavanadd at frontier.com> wrote:

> I have about filled up my 75 gb HDD and rather than put in a new, bigger HDD
and then manually install everything, I would like to clone a bootable image
from the existing HDD over to the new HDD. Anyone got any experience in doing
this?  Advice?

> Probably another fix could be to just install a second HDD and move all the
picture, video and music files that are eating up space on the C drive.