[Shop-talk] Metal building w/out slab?

Peter J. Thomas pj_thomas at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 19:48:23 MDT 2012

On 6/6/2012 9:02 PM, steve hochschild wrote:
> I have a 25'x30'x12' self supporting metal building (really a tunnel,
> as it has no ends) on the truck coming my way, as the first baby step
> towards my own shop.  For now it will be used as trailer storage, a
> carport for my three dead cars, and welding space.    I live on the
> surface of the sun in Austin, Texas, so a shaded space is necessary.
> The building only cost me $4500, and I don't plan to have any
> plumbing, heat or AC now, but eventually I could add the ends,
> insulate it, and air condition it, but not for a good while.
>
> So I started meeting with concrete contractors today, and I have
> sticker shock.    I asked for a bid on a 'standard' slab for a metal
> building: the vendor specifies 19"wide x 24"deep footers on the 30'
> sides, 8" footers across the open ends, and a 4" slab, basically, with
> compressed base, re-bar, vapor barrier and so on.  One bid was for
> $6500 and the other was $11,500.
>
> I can't afford anywhere near that for what is essentially a glorified
> carport, so I am thinking about just getting the footers and leaving
> the slab part for later.
>
> I guess I could lay down some gravel, but a friend of mine suggested
> some kind of pressed earth floor?  Anyone ever hear of something like
> that?

I believe there was a discussion on this group about soil cement.
Concrete is aggregate, sand and gravel, mixed with portland cement.
With soil cement the portland cement is mixed into the soil with a
rototiller and compacted.  The soil is the aggregate.  They use this
technique to build runways and line drainage canals.  It supposed to
stand up to light traffic.  There's all sorts of science on it, google
turns up lots of information.