[Shop-talk] Sump pump alarm

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Sat Nov 27 08:48:15 MST 2010

At 10:06 AM 11/27/2010, marty sukey wrote:

 >I want some kind of alarm to install in my sump pump crock to sense water
 >when the pump fails (again). I see them for sale that mount at the
crock. What
 >I want to do though is mount the sensor at the crock and the alarm
upstairs at
 >the other end of the house where it can be heard. I have not seen any like
 >this. Any ideas?

Marty,

Simple.

1.  You'll need some type of float.  You could try using something
like a tennis
      ball with a rod through the diameter.
2.  Some type of switch at the top of the travel - either a micro
switch or a piece
      of metal mounted on your float and at the top of the float
support.  Bent so
      they touch when the float is at the desired level.

Now comes the tricky part, you have 2 options here.

3.  Look into getting a door bell, or at least a door bell
transformer.  Then you'll
      have a 12V or 24V DC which you can connect to the switch and to a door
      bell chime upstairs.  Only problem is that you'll have to run
wire from where
      you mount the float to where you mount the door bell.

or

4.  Get a cordless door bell system.  They are less than $25.   (I
prefer the AC
      powered type [plugs into a wall plug] instead of the bell being
battery powered.)
      Connect the wires form the float to the 2 connectors on the
remote button.  (The
      door bell buttons are battery powered.  So you'll have to check
on the battery
      every once in a while.)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John