[Shop-talk] Blasting media

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 1 17:09:18 MDT 2009

> The package says #8 Glass Beads.  Under a magnifying glass, there are
> certainly some beads in there, and lots of fines - of course, I happen to
> have grabbed a HF magniflying glass too.

Must be another example of HF's outstanding quality control, then.  That's
what mine looks like AFTER it's been used awhile.

> What do you use for rust and paint ?  Aluminum oxide ?  Black Beauty slag

My plan is to use Black Beauty; but as yet I've not done enough to make it
worth changing media.  So far, I've just lived with the beads being slow;
and painted over any paint that doesn't want to come off.

I'll revisit the whole blast cabinet thing after I get the new air
compressor plumbed up.  I got it mounted, and power run to it, but haven't
laid in the air line from the backyard to the garage yet.  Need to build a
shelter for it, too.

-- Randall