[Shop-talk] Blasting media

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Fri May 1 13:39:52 MDT 2009

The package says #8 Glass Beads.  Under a magnifying glass, there are
certainly some beads in there, and lots of fines - of course, I happen to
have grabbed a HF magniflying glass too.

I'd guess it's maybe 20% beads - sort of what I'd expect to see after lots
of blasting.  Or maybe what you might expect from fresh HF glass beads  :-(

Glass beads are what I've almost always used in the past, except before I
knew better than to use 100-grit silica sand (and that was open blasting).
What do you use for rust and paint ?  Aluminum oxide ?  Black Beauty slag ?

Karl