[Shop-talk] hole sawed 1/4" thick steel post undersized

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 19:04:53 MDT 2007

> I am just thinking somebody here has a clever solution for
> increasing the diameter of an undersized hole in a thick
> piece of steel in a very visible location. Thanks in advance...

Doug,  I would just clamp a chunck of wood over the hole, scrap 1x6 or
plywood, whatever is handy, and cut through it with a metal-cutting hole
saw.  The wood in the center will provide the pilot while cutting a 1" hole
through the wood, and then the 1" hole in the wood will guide the saw into
the metal.

I've actually done very nearly the same thing, except it was a flat plate
closer to 3/8" thick and I was able to get it in the drill press.

Randall