[Nobbc] THANKSGIVING RIDE

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:12:14 MST 2010

  Clif,

Try JNW Engine http://jnweng.com/
Talk to Jerry and tell him Greg Tatarian with the Lotuses sent you. I
put on a tech session at Jerry's shop last year for the NOBBC.

Not sure anyone's going to measure 10 microns - they are going to cut
until the surface is smooth and flat, but you can ask him to go as
lightly as possible. If it's just light surface rust, I would use a
surface plate and 120-150 grit paper, myself, and save the $40  (at
least for flywheels that have the friction surface level or raise above
the surrounding portion).

Pros and cons of lightened steel vs. stock, vs. aluminum flywheels are
generally not specific to any car make or model but are pretty uniform;
lightened steel needs to be done properly or you can have it fly apart
on you at high revs. Stock is fine, but heavy. Aluminum flywheels have
to have the right design and treatment for the aluminum so that the
steel flywheel face and surrounding aluminum material expand and
contract much as a unit, and so the aluminum isn't too soft, and the
replaceable steel insert has to be available for future replacements.
Some don't like alu because it affects apparent torque, particularly
with small, light motors coming off the line. Some poorly designed or
made units have had problems with ring gear coming off (same problem of
differential expansion rates, as well as different pinning methods).
Lighter flywheels definitely make the motor more throttle responsive.
Don't forget to check the tooth bevel of the ring gear on the new f/w
matches the engagement of your starter (front or back), as we talked
about in Napa.

Cheers,
Greg