[Nobbc] 1966 Lotus Elan S3 Coupe

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:25:15 MST 2010

  On 11/2/2010 4:06 PM, andy preston wrote:
> This car looks truly stunning in the photos and I'm sure it cost more than
> the asking price to restore to that standard.

Yes, that's usually the way. Particularly in the last several years with
Lotuses, because there are fewer qualified Twin Cam engine rebuilders (a
good rebuild costs $8-10k), and fiberglass and paint can easily top
$10-15k. Just 4-5 years ago it would not have bee unheard of for a coupe
of this caliber to sell for $15k, but enough coupes have had their tops
removed to become DHC cars to help bring up their value. I think it's a
terrible shame to chop up a coupe, as they didn't make that many of
them, and the lines are among the very best in my view.
>   I don't know much about Lotus
> but have always loved them and the ilans especially.  It looks like the twin
> to Sarto's coupe so I'd love to get his feedback on it.
Sarto's Elan S3 coupe is really beautiful, and is arguably more
authentic in some very minor details compared to this car, which has a
deleted heater valve, added gauges in the dash, Del'lortos instead of
Webers (typical overseas, but not here), altered fuse box (not a bad
thing!). The finish in the wheel wells is excellent - someone spent some
time in there, for sure. Love the look of the riveted steel wheels,
however one must be careful of 40 year old rivets. It's sitting a tiny
bit low, which looks really sexy but one must be cautious about
grounding, but that can be easily adjusted as I see it's got adjustable
spring perches. It's also got the airflow vents behind the door opening,
which were not on earlier coupes.
>    I don't think it
> will last long at the asking price.  Maybe time to change the breed.
No need to change - just add one more to the stable. It can make driving
a slower, less precise handling car less enticing, so be ready to let
your other cars sit idle a bit more if you buy the Elan. Also, be
prepared for some parts being 2-3x the cost of those for MGs and
Triumphs, which were made in vast numbers compared to Elans, and have a
much smaller supplier chain. Also, make sure you fit, first - the coupe
doesn't have lots of headroom, though the legroom is great. Nice having
a top, though!

I've been looking for an S3 Coupe for a few years, but this one's priced
a little to strong for me, considering the restoration finish date of
2000, and lack of CV axle upgrade - not that I'm saying it isn't quite
pretty and very nicely restored!
> Andy
>
> -
Greg Tatarian