[Nobbc] Spitfires

rlmossholder at comcast.net rlmossholder at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 15:27:58 MST 2010

Hi Scott,

B B B I haven't opened the gear box yet, butB I believe it to be the three
rail type. I don't have it close by for further inspection. It isB 300 miles
away in Crescent City at my Dad's shop. I know about the possible damage
especially if the OD is on and you try to shift in reverse.

My car has the 1500 engine (sourced from a Midget) and 4.11 dif (original to
the car), and I have never had any issues with it. I have driven the car hard
on some of the drives trying to keep up with Ron's MGAB and a couple of the
Lotus Elans withB some success. I have replaced all of the U-joints on the car
last year with a higher quality than the originals. No problems there
either.B

B B B I don't know if you are familiar with PRI, in Oregon, but they make a
coilover rear conversion for the Spitfire that is a simple bolt on
configurationB that eliminates the transverse leaf spring. Some time this
yearB I intend to get it for my car too. John Kenner has it for his Herald and
is going to install it fairly soon. I visited him last week and had a
goodB look at it. Great craftsmanship in all the parts, and a claimed
installation time of under two hours!

Here's the link to PRI's website:B B B B  www.prirace.com

Hey John, when you are ready to install the PRI rear end, let us konw.

That might make for another great tech session. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge,
wink, wink. SUSPENSION SET UP!

Cheers,

Rich