[Nobbc] Big Engines in TRs

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 15:36:24 MST 2010

Hi Bill, Frank, Tom and John,
Re-named this thread so we don't hijack John's Oyster Run...
I wasn't thinking of reliability so much as ridiculous and outrageous
fun - much like the Spridget with the Jag engine. One of our members,
Jerry Kehoe, who hasn't been on drives in awhile, stuck a BMW V12 in his
vintage Formula 3000 race car, which he stretched and essentially turned
into a Formula 1 car. Off came all of the ancilliaries, on went a racing
fuel pump and custom injectors and throttle bodies. Of course, Jerry had
many more mods to do for the engine to work in that application, but
looking at the length of the TR6 engine bay and the size of the BMW V12
engine had me thinking that such a conversion would be possible, and
would definitely be interesting to drive and to look at. Particularly
with big velocity stacks poking out of the hood!
Of course, at that point the car would need lots of driveline massaging
to make it stay together - the engine would probably be the most
reliable of all of the components.
Just thought it might be fun to pop the hood at a car show - two inline
6's with the same weight!
Cheers,
Greg