[Nobbc] Front Plate petition

Robin Jackson apexbrit2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:32:43 MST 2009

While on this subject, about five years ago my then 25 year old son and I
were cruising at the legal speed limit in the Nissan Maxima (sans front
plate) North on 101. It was a mid-summer Saturday at daybreak. We were going
fishing at our Mad River property. At the Covelo/Round Valley road was a CHP
sitting at the stop sign. He pulled out behind me, followed for a quarter of
a mile and blam, on came the reds and blues. I was quiet and courteous and
produced current and legal papers. He was overly interested in scanning the
interior and getting close to the window. He was not the usual Smokey type
CHP; he wore a jumpsuit, SWAT gear and was a K-9 unit. I asked why he had
stopped me and he said that many vehicles that have no front plate have been
stolen. So, that was his "probable cause" - that I may be driving a stolen
vehicle. But, this  was during a time when law enforcement was attempting to
curtail drug running along 101, so that was his real reason. If he had
smelled or seen anything suspicious we would have had a dog search on the
Maxima and cuffed and stuffed.

The point here is that law enforcement can stop you for "probable cause" if
you don't display a front plate. I don't think many would, but some do.