[Mini] I wanted to share this post with you from Matters of Testing - UK MOT

Dr John C Bullas john.bullas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 09:59:01 MDT 2017

What you need to know about the new roadworthiness directive
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-road
worthiness-directive/

Most of the changes from this directive will need to happen in May next
year, but for now, webll provide you with an overview of what we expect to
change. Webll focus on the detail over the next few months

What this means

The directive is a very broad set of rules that covers everything to do
with the on road condition of vehicles. It wonbt mean huge changes for us,
but therebll still be changes in the world of MOT, including some positive
steps to tighten-up the rules on emissions.

One of the changes related to the directive is how bhistoric vehiclesb
are
dealt with, which is something DfT consulted on.

40yr old rolling exemption from MOTs >>>>>>>>>>

As a result of this consultation, the government has decided that therebll
now be a brolling 40 year oldb exemption from MOT, instead of the current
fixed pre-1960 rule. However, this will only apply for those vehicles that
havenbt been modified.

Changes to the MOT test

The directive will change how we categorise defects. From 20 May 2018,
theybll be categorised as either bdangerousb, bmajorb or
bminorb, to help
focus drivers on whatbs more important.

Whilst this will help us explain to them how to look after their vehicles
better, webll need to be careful not to let make things complex for us all.

1) Dangerous and major defects

bDangerousb and bmajorb defects will cause the MOT to be failed.
Webre
still working on how webll make this look for drivers, but we want to make
sure that the dangerous defects stand out on the documentation. This is to
make it clear to them that they shouldnbt drive the vehicle away in that
condition.

2) Minor defects

Where bminorb defects are identified, these can be considered along the
same lines as advisories are today

Regards

FB