[Mini] [minElist] Re-registering a garage find and taking the licence plate off it: UK advice

Richard Porter ricp at minijem.plus.com
Wed Dec 27 16:54:44 MST 2017

On 27 Dec 2017 Dr John C Bullas john.bullas at gmail.com [minilist] 

> Firstly Happy Christmas to one-and-all!

and a Happy New Year!

> I have a question or two

> A 1968 registered dry garage find with a hand written paper log book

> #1 how do I get it registered/MOT'd so as I can get the pre-reg number off
> it to transfer to another vehicle?

> Can it simply be insured under the old 1968 number and driven for an MOT
> without a V51?

You need to get a V5C first, so check if the number is on the DVLA 
computer. You can do that online but you'll need to know what "make" 
it was registered as. Even if it's not there they'll probably give you 
a V5C on the evidence of the old log book. There's a form for applying 
for a new V5C. You need to get it classed as an historic vehicle so 
it's tax exempt.

Once you've got that and insured the car you can take it for an MoT. 
Then you can worry about the V51 for transferring the number.

> #2 How long from the point of it getting the necessary paperwork V51 & MOT
> to be able to transfer the pre-reg number to another veihcle and it to get
> an A-suffix mark for the donor

I don't know but I don't see why there should be a delay.

> The car is destined for export but I think the value of the plate and the
> minimum work needed to MOT it would be worth the hastle/red tape?

> Many thoughts festive listers?

> Regards

> JB

Richard Porter                      http://www.minijem.plus.com/
t: @westernexplorer                 mailto:ricp at minijem.plus.com
I don't want a "user experience" - I just want stuff that works.

More information about the Mini-list mailing list