[Mini] [minElist] Wiring instruments in parallel or series?

Richard Porter ricp at minijem.plus.com
Sun Mar 20 18:17:27 MDT 2016

On 19 Mar 2016 John Lieberman  wrote:

> If you wire any two components in series, they're going to split the
> available voltage.

True, which is why you wire high resistance voltmeters in parallel.

> Plus, if they have unequal current draw, you could fry the one with
> the lower draw because the same amount of current will be passing
> through both components.

If you're measuring current then both devices must be capable of
handling the current in question.

> Therefore, you would want to wire in parallel to keep the voltage
> constant to every component.

If you're measuring current then both devices will have a low
resistance, so very little voltage drop across them and they should be
wired in series.

If you connect ammeters in parallel they will share the current in
inverse proportion to their resistances.

--
Richard Porter                        http://www.minijem.plus.com/
Skype: minijem2                       mailto:ricp at minijem.plus.com
I don't want a "user experience" - I just want stuff that works.