[Mini] Help with no start on my Mini

Patrick Opsahl patrick_opsahl at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:40:36 MDT 2012

I have a mid 70's Countryman that I drove into the garage last month.  I put
in a fresh battery and tried to start it today, no go.  Tried priming it,
nothing.  Pulled a plug wire and placed it close to an engine ground, no
spark.  Checked voltage going to coil.  With the key on and key on cranking, I
get 12 volts at both the negative and positive terminals - is this correct?
Pulled the distributor cap, turned the motor to have points open.  Checked
resistance from ground to open side of points, shorted?
Is my condensor shorted?  How do I check to see if my condenser is bad?  I
have a digital multi meter (DMM) for checking.
Is my coil bad?  In all of my troubleshooting I noticed the positive and
negative wires were backwards on my coil.  White wire goes to negative and
white and black wire goes to positive.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Patrick in Northern California