[Mini] [minElist] best way to torque up or undo a 1275GT driveshaft lock nut

Andy Hayward andy.hayward at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 23 01:15:39 MDT 2010

John,
          My top tip, is to ensure you have well greased the shaft with
appropriate graphite grease beforehand,  run the nut over the threads to
clear the excess, then remove the nut, and remove any excess build up.

I have always tightened using a socket through the wheel centre, with
the tyre on the ground, wheel chocks front and back all round, the
brakes jammed on, using a wooden lever on the brake.

I use a break bar on the socket, and a 5ft scaffold type pole on that.
I found that when I when the front wheel would turn on the spot, and the
mini try to climb over the chocks, the pressure was just right.  :)

Tiff is currently awaiting new sills and A-panels to get through the
MOT, so unlikely to be going anywhere this winter :(

Andy in Norwich