[Mini] Primary Gear Oil Seal

Brett Nicholson brett at nicho.id.au
Thu Nov 11 16:25:53 MST 2010

Hi,

I use a length of thick-walled exhaust pipe about 2 or 2 1/4 inches in
diamater (even better with a flared end) and a square metal plate about 2.5 x
2.5 inches with a hole in the middle.

- Run some electrical tape or similar around the teeth for the clutch plate to
protect the seal from damage.

- Slide the seal over the taped-over teeth into position.

- Slide the exhaust tube over the taped-up teeth so it's positioned to press
against the seal.

- Insert the flywheel bolt through the metal plate and insert the bolt in the
end of the crank.

- Turn the flywheel bolt slowly and it should push the seal into the housing
nice an square.  You might have to support the seal by hand at first.

As an aside, I use a small two-legged puller to gently remove the primary gear
complete with seal when changing the seal in the car.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.