[Mini] Primary Gear Oil Seal

Richard Porter ricp at minijem.plus.com
Thu Nov 11 16:06:46 MST 2010

On 11 Nov 2010 Larry & Sandi Miller  wrote:

> Any hints on installing the Primary Gear Oil Seal  without the special
> service tools listed in the manual?

> I've already destroyed one seal in a mis-guided attempt to install it.
> I tried with the seal already installed in the housing.

> The engine is out of the car.

OK. Assuming you've got the flywheel off, you can get the old seal off
by pulling the primary gear out with a puller. I use the centre of an
old clutch plate held on with a jubilee clip, and hook the claws of
the puller onto that. Leave the brass ring on the crankshaft.

Put some pvc tape round the teeth of the primary gear so that you
don't damage the new oil seal (it's not a bad idea to tape up the
splines too). Replace the primary gear plus oil seal onto the
crankshaft. Keep the seal on the smooth bit of the PG as far as
possible. You should be able to press the seal into place, or if
necessary tap it in carefully with a suitable drift around the
outside. Be careful not to push it too far through the hole!

Remove the tape and refit the remaining bits and pieces. Voil`.

If you have taken the clutch housing off altogether then it's
straightforward to fit the oil seal (use a flat bit of wood to knock
it in flush with the housing), but protect the teeth of the PG as
above when you refit the clutch housing. Alternatively, carefully
locate the PG in the clutch housing and refit both together.

--
Richard Porter                        http://www.minijem.plus.com/
                                      mailto:ricp at minijem.plus.com
I don't want a user experience.  I just want stuff that works.