[Mini] Primary Gear Oil Seal

tom at carrott.org tom at carrott.org
Thu Nov 11 15:57:28 MST 2010

On Fri, November 12, 2010 11:02 am, Larry & Sandi Miller wrote:
> Any hints on installing the Primary Gear Oil Seal  without the special
> service
> tools listed in the manual?
>
> I've already destroyed one seal in a mis-guided attempt to install it. I
> tried
> with the seal already installed in the housing.

Wrap the spline with electrical tap and especially make a ramp between the
spline and the sealing surface on the primary gear. Wrap the tape in the
right direction so the overlaps don't interfere with the seal. Grease the
tape. You can tap the seal in with a punch. Use lots of small blows around
the circumference.

I made an installation tool. I don't remember all the details but I recall
the outer race of a differential bearing was the right size to press the
seal. You just have to arrange for the flywheel bolt to push on it. I used
a plate which the flywheel bolt passes through and welded rods of the
right length between it and the pressing ring.

To use, you push the seal into place by hand (with the tape and the grease
to protect it), put the installation tool on top and screw in the flywheel
bolt which pushes the tool which pushes the seal.