[Mgs] Petrol

Paul Hunt paulbhunt73 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 02:03:46 MDT 2023

The problem with hoses isn't ethanol but the rubbish rubber that they
are made from these days.  I've had replacement hoses fail while what
were almost certainly original were still on the car and sound.
Eventually I removed those and checked them and they were completely
crack free even when slit lengthwise and opened out. I've had replaced
carb hoses crack under the braiding, which is impossible to see until
they actually start leaking, I won't use braided anywhere now.

The usual scare-mongering claim with water in ethanol is that it rots
tanks so you should brim them over winter.  But that doesn't 'hold
water' either because ethanol fuels can absorb far more water than
non-ethanol fuels so there is less liquid water in contact with the tank
in any case because there is no more water vapour getting into tanks
containing ethanol fuels than there always was with non-ethanol.
Absorbed water vapour has no effect on anything in the system other than
a slight reduction in performance.  If it wasn't being absorbed and
going though the system causing no harm it would lie in the bottom,
build up, and eventually be sucked into the system when it reaches the
filter at the bottom of the tank.  Liquid water in fuel has a far
greater propensity to damage the engine than absorbed water vapour.

Avoiding ethanol where possible, and using lower dosages, is purely
about the possible long-term damage that MAY happen in our cars.
Vintage and veteran cars used materials in their fuel systems that are
more vulnerable so it is more applicable to them anyway.

The thing I do agree with is that it is scaremongering and being seized
on by companies to sell you stuff you don't need.  We went though all
this before with unleaded.