[Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 195, Issue 1

Paul Hunt paulbhunt73 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 01:44:59 MDT 2023

Both those are describing the function of the instrument which is the
same in both cases and is not the point in question.  Even so the first
definition includes the statement "In formal engineering nomenclature,
more precise terms are used to distinguish the two.".

The PO's question was how do I connect a _tachometer_ , and the answer
to that is fundamentally different to a rev counter.  A rev counter
displays the rate at which a cable drive is turning, a tachometer
measures the time between successive electrical pulses.  In the rev
counter case it doesn't matter whether it is on a 4, 6 or 8 (etc.)
cylinder whereas for a tachometer the pulses from an 8 cylinder engine
are coming in at twice the rate of a 4-cylinder and there have to be
_internal_ differences in the tachometer to display that correctly.  If
the terms are used interchangeably then when responding to a (formal
engineering?) question you would first have to establish which one is
being talked about!

PaulH.