[Mgs] MGA 1600 seat back threaded bolt size

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Fri Jun 17 23:52:52 MDT 2022

Robert, --- I'll give it my best shot.

The Service Parts List does not break it down to
the level of that bolt.  The Seat Assembly -Less
Cushion includes the two-piece frame and the pivot bolts.

The bolt is actually a shoulder bolt.  It passes
freely through the hole in the seat back rest, so
the backrest will hinge on the shoulder bolts
when the bolts are fixed in place.  I think there
is also supposed to be a thin thrust washer in between the moving parts.

The upstanding ears on the seat base frame are
supposed to be threaded.  Pretty sure it is
5/16-24-UNF thread.  The shoulder bolt screws in
until the shoulder hits the bracket, and it stops
turning.  Then the nut is installed inside and
screws on until the nut hits the ear and
stops.  Tighten gently, as it is a jam nut to fix
the shoulder bolt in place.  If the female thread
was stripped out of the ear, the shoulder bolt
may hold in place anyway, as long as the nut is
secure.  I don't remembwr if the thrust washer
should be trapped under the bolt shoulder, or if
the washer fits free spinning over the shoulder.

So there is no factory specified part number for
that bolt in the SPL, although there surely was a
real part number at the factory.  It would be
nice if someone could find that part number, but
the world has effectively done without it for 67 years.

I wouldn't mind making a drawing of the bolt,
just that I don't have one in hand to measure at
the moment.  I suppose I could take my car apart
to "borrow" one long enough to measure
it.  Problem is. my seats are not original,
having been replaced with new assemblies from
Moss Motors a few years ago.  With my luck the new bolts might even be metric.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com