[Mgs] Spark Plug Socket

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 19 01:34:43 MST 2021

I had the same problem with the V8 (aluminium heads) using the one from a 1/2" drive socket set which measured 1.1" OD, but did have one that fitted at 1.087".  When I changed the heads that did not fit either, but a 3/8" drive socket did at 1.070".

Be very careful tightening them, after decades of doing plugs in cast-iron heads I loosened and tightened the same way, and after many years and tens of thousands of miles stripped a thread.  Repaired that but subsequently stripped another, hence changing the heads and a lot more circumspect about tightening - reputedly 15-22 ft lb for gasket seal plugs as opposed to 26 to 30 in cast iron.  Another issue is said to be differential expansion, another recommendation is to only remove them fully cold or fully hot, not part warm.  Another consideration is applying anti-seize to the threads - some recommend it, but only if the plug body is black or plain steel.  If applied to pre-coated or nickel-alloy bodied plugs the torque should be reduced by 30%-40%.

  I tried to install new plugs in my 1969 MGB GT today. I was not successful.  I don't know what genius designed the aluminum head, but a normal spark plug socket for a 14mm spark plug does not go all the way dow to fully engage the head.