[Mgs] B/GT seat back problem - update #2

S.Carr britfan1 at epix.net
Mon Jan 18 15:28:18 MST 2021

When I said the two toothed plates were "not aligned on precisely the same plane," I meant that—viewed from on edge—they were not directly above one another.  Since the plates can't be kept absolutely tight together—pushing on the adjusting lever moves them slightly (<2 mm) apart at the upper (coil spring) end—there is only about half-width contact of the teeth, and one side of the tip of each tooth is worn away at such an angle that the plates slide away from each other under pressure and the teeth won't stay in mesh.  We don't see any reasonable way of getting the teeth re-cut to square the tips off, so it's look-for-another-seat-frame time (hence my next post).  (Yes, we could put the seat back in, position it, take it out again, weld it, put it back in again—but the car isn’t driven in the winter, so we’ll just let it sit until we see if we can find another seat frame.)

Sarah Carr
'71 B/GT in PA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10