[Mgs] B/GT seat back problem - update

S.Carr britfan1 at epix.net
Mon Jan 18 09:03:49 MST 2021

     Yesterday we partially dismantled the driver’s seat back on my ’71 B/GT to see why it would collapse backward with even moderate pressure.  Alas the problem is not the same or as simple as Paul Hunt's—although a previous owner clearly had the same problem as Paul, since the same pin was crudely tack-welded in place on my car!	Possibly from 50 years of failure to pull the adjuster lever far enough before pushing the seat backward to disengage the teeth, both sets of teeth are worn—and they're also not aligned on precisely the same plane, so they're worn at an angle.	These photos were taken with the seat lying on its back.  The over-all view:

	and a closer view of the teeth, which seem quite small for their purpose:

	The large round pins are fastened to an inner plate, which holds the lower set of teeth.  The upper, recessed set of teeth is on a small plate riveted to the outer plate.  The holes in the outer plate are oval, allowing the inner plate to slide behind the outer one when the lever is moved, pulling the teeth apart.  There's a small, heavy coil spring on the inner end of the adjusting lever shaft that pulls the teeth back together when the lever is released:

	No parts or replacement seat frames are available new (and I'm not sure I'd want to spend the $ if they were), so now we're looking for a used driver's seat frame with a decent set of teeth------

Sarah Carr
'71 B/GT in PA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10