[Mgs] Running hot

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Mon Feb 1 11:43:36 MST 2021

I have had a plastic fan blade break and puncture the radiator. I think this was rather a fringe case, however. Autopsy revealed the fan had a molding flaw — there was large bubble in the plastic right at the base of the blade that broke off — it only lasted 307 miles from new. Also, it is doubtful that the blade would have seriously damaged the radiator if it hadn’t become trapped in the radiator shroud. As it was, it acted as a kind of rotary hammer, which was too much for the 50+ year-old brass core.

Anyway, as for Rick’s problem, if it doesn’t involve a head gasket leak (as suggested), then I think that leaves serious blockage in the block somewhere. Possibly this could be located with a thermo gun. I have had to remove freeze plugs and break up deposits with a pick in an old iron block V8 before.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB