[Mgs] Replacement alternator

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Fri Apr 23 05:50:17 MDT 2021

It's on and working well.  It's a 72, 16AC would be the wrong type as it uses an external regulator, I doubt anyone would bother fitting one of those these days.  16/17/18ACR (internal regulation) should all be plug compatible with each other but require a different plug if replacing a 16AC.  The original 16AC and ACR were 34 amps, rising though the 17 to the 18 at 45 amps.  If that 16AC really is 45 amps then it's not a standard unit and may have the same problem.

  You didn't say what year  the B is.  I looked the alternator up.  I note there's a16AC unit,45A, for 68-69.  Might be a better fit.  What unit came off the car?