[Mgs] MGB Fun and Games

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Mon Sep 14 07:54:39 MDT 2020

The frustrations continue.  So thinking the rear carb spitting out puffs
of gasoline laden air, I suspected perhaps an issue with the valves or
head gasket on this '73 MGB.  I zip up there ( the guy lives 27 miles
from me ) with more test equipment.  Pull the plugs, do a quick
compression test.  Wow, 125 - 130 psi in all 4 cylinders.  So that's a
nice surprise.

Plugs back in, ignition wiring connected, crank the motor.  It spins,
but no sign of it wanting to start.  Hook up my trusty old timing light,
no flashes whatsoever.  Pull the #1 plug, ground it, no spark at all.
While checking the connections at the coil, I nearly burn my hand.  The
body of the coil is hot, very hot.  Not a good sign.

New coil on the way, we'll see what the next installment brings.

mjb.