[Mgs] MGB success!

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sun Oct 25 07:14:17 MDT 2020

A while back one of the folks in the British Motor Club of Utah posted
on our Facebook page that he had some cars that needed attention.  I
offered to assist.  I had meant to write it all down, as to when I did
what, but of course I did not.

The car is a '73 MGB which hadn't been running for some time. Over the
course of the last few months I've driven the 25 miles to his place and
messed with it.  If I still had a shop where I could have easily worked
on it whenever convenient for me it would have gotten done a lot
sooner.  I currently am working graveyard, from 10 pm to 6 am.  So going
up to Nick's place in the early afternoon is like the dead of night for
me.   ZZzzzzz.

Anyway, we worked on getting it started.  First off, no fuel to the
carbs.  New fuel pump installed.  Then too much fuel, needle valves not
closing.  Carbs get taken off, I bring them home.  It goes on for a
while, like an LBC game of Whack-A-Mole.  Fix one problem, it brings to
light another.  New coil, $200 on carb rebuild kit, new ignition switch.
Back and forth between ignition and carbs, always another gremlin
popping up.

Finally got close yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cmBVIF7Pk
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cmBVIF7Pk>

Still needs some tweaking and minor adjustments, but after at least a
dozen trips where I've headed home shaking my head in frustration, it
was nice to head back to Salt Lake with a smile on my face.

mjb.