[Mgs] MGB not (re)starting, following up

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Mon May 18 00:54:57 MDT 2020

Lucas electrics are made in India these days.  Nothing to do with Lucas Electrics except the name.  Just one cut above Chinese made crap.Mike MacLean1969 MGB GT60 Bugeye1956 Austin Healey 100 LeMans

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:04 PM, Steve Shoyer via Mgs<mgs at autox.team.net> wrote:   Hi, about two months ago I asked for help to figure out why my 1980 MGB
wasn't restarting after being driven for a while.  Most people suggested
that it was a problem with the battery or with the battery connections.
I generally kept it on a battery tender, and one person suggested
disconnecting that because it tends to cover up battery problems. I
disconnected the tender and let the car sit for a while.

My son, bored from sheltering at home, started a woodworking project in
the garage.  He didn't realize that using a sander would generate
sawdust, and didn't notice until I pointed it out to him that the cars
were now covered with sawdust.

Today was a nice day, so I was planning on washing the cars.  I tried to
start the MGB - the battery seemed fine, the starter seemed to be
spinning the engine properly, but the car wouldn't start.

I had added a negative battery to ground cable and a coil to a parts
order (I needed to replace my gas cap) that's been sitting in the box
since it arrived in March.  Since the battery appeared to be working OK,
I tried swapping the coil first.  The old coil (from 2002) was a Lucas
Sports coil, but I just got the standard coil listed for my car.  I
installed the new coil, and the car started right away.  It ran pretty
well, which surprised me a little since it hadn't been driven in a
while, but I wasn't going to complain.

I'll still replace the negative battery cable - the one on the car looks
a little frayed - but I'm glad that replacing the coil resolved the problem.

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions when I was looking for
advice.

--Steve (1980 MGB)

Mgs at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html