[Mgs] MGB not (re)starting, following up

Steve Shoyer steve at shoyer.com
Sun May 17 23:04:42 MDT 2020

Hi, about two months ago I asked for help to figure out why my 1980 MGB
wasn't restarting after being driven for a while.  Most people suggested
that it was a problem with the battery or with the battery connections.
I generally kept it on a battery tender, and one person suggested
disconnecting that because it tends to cover up battery problems. I
disconnected the tender and let the car sit for a while.

My son, bored from sheltering at home, started a woodworking project in
the garage.  He didn't realize that using a sander would generate
sawdust, and didn't notice until I pointed it out to him that the cars
were now covered with sawdust.

Today was a nice day, so I was planning on washing the cars.  I tried to
start the MGB - the battery seemed fine, the starter seemed to be
spinning the engine properly, but the car wouldn't start.

I had added a negative battery to ground cable and a coil to a parts
order (I needed to replace my gas cap) that's been sitting in the box
since it arrived in March.  Since the battery appeared to be working OK,
I tried swapping the coil first.  The old coil (from 2002) was a Lucas
Sports coil, but I just got the standard coil listed for my car.  I
installed the new coil, and the car started right away.  It ran pretty
well, which surprised me a little since it hadn't been driven in a
while, but I wasn't going to complain.

I'll still replace the negative battery cable - the one on the car looks
a little frayed - but I'm glad that replacing the coil resolved the problem.

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions when I was looking for
advice.

--Steve (1980 MGB)