[Mgs] Mgs MGA AIR FILTER

Stan Fickes spridget at gmail.com
Sun May 3 18:32:05 MDT 2020

As Barney says, the Fram CA77 will squeeze onto the factory plates. A notch
has to be carved out, but it only takes a minute with an X-Acto. (Amusing
note -- my Deere garden tractor uses the CA77 but neither sounds as good
nor is as fun to drive.) Changing the perished factory filter elements to
the CA77 led to another problem. The increased flow resistance of the CA77
caused reduced air pressure inside the filter/carb mouth, causing oil to be
sucked up the breather hose, which led to increased oil consumption and oil
dripping out of the rear filter. To remedy this, I JB Welded a bit of
hardware cloth inside the rocker cover, and inserted some stainless steel
scrubber (like Kurly Kate) in the pipe coming out of the cover. The
scrubber catches the oil so it might drain back into the rocker rather than
travel up the hose. It's worked for me, though I'm now braced for
constructive criticism (You did WHAT?!?). I suspect the MGB K&N solution
flows better and leads to (perhaps marginally) better performance with less
oil draw. I suppose another solution to filtering breather input air with
no concern as to stock appearance might be something like
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2164 on top of the rocker cover, or
bracketed nearby if clearance is insufficient.
sf