[Mgs] MGB not (re)starting

Hans Duinhoven h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Tue Mar 17 15:17:10 MDT 2020

Depends how the trickle chargers work.

Being from 1974 on in IT I still learn every day.

So I Did today as well. The last 30 years I’m specialized in enterprise data storage solutions.

One of my customers was suffering of a nasty problem: a failing battery.

The battery is used in the storage controller to back-up the write cache memory, if there is a power failure.

Now the problem was more about faulty firmware in the storage controller, so the support engineer explained to me how the battery charging is controlled in such a storage system.

Most trickle chargers act like an on/off switching power supply with a 50% duty cycle.

That is because it is cheap to make.

The storage system I write about is over 5 years old and all the time it is charging the battery.

So one would expect, that the battery might fail much more often that after that period than a few per hundreds of systems.

The reason for this is, that the charging power supply is computer controlled.

The charging period is normally on for a short period every 10 minutes or so.

So when the charging is well controlled, batteries will last very long.

Also quality of all components in the entire circuit determine how long the products will life.

An nice example was the battery in my Audi A6 I used as a daily driver from 2003 - 2007 (Built August 2000).

The car still had its first battery when the car was taken back to the company.

The odometer read 343,000 Km. The battery never failed, not did the charging circuit.

The modern trickle chargers will act like Barrie described.

Cheers,

Hans