[Mgs] Ridiculous nw cars

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Tue Mar 10 13:02:21 MDT 2020

As a designer with experience in human factors design and UX design, I can state that digital numeric speedometer displays are completely inappropriate. The constant flickering of numerals (64,65,66,65) conveys zero information and distracts the eye from the road. Personally, I think they should be banned. With an analog needle (or a digital representation of an analog needle), these tiny variations in speed are unnoticeable, and one can actually check the current speed with peripheral vision detecting the rough angle of the needle, without having to consciously parse individual numerals. The old LCD displays were the worst, because all these numerals look the same at a glance: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9. Also 1 and 7. But it doesn’t matter how they gussy up the numeral font, it’s just a bad idea.

The same goes for every instrument. Which display conveys more useful information with less concentration required? “F”, or “17.9gal remaining”?

Touchscreen controls are another abomination that shouldn’t be allowed in automotive systems that are active while the vehicle is in motion. You absolutely have to take your eyes off the road to manipulate them. All active vehicle controls should feature tactile feedback, so they can be operated by touch. The classic headlight push/pull knob is a great example that has yet to be improved upon. The rotary stalk switch on more modern cars is actually a step backward, because the direction of rotation needed is not obvious.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB