[Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES

dave dave at ranteer.com
Fri Jun 26 20:17:47 MDT 2020

+1 on that

-----Original Message-----
From: Mgs <mgs-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Eric Russell
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 1:19 PM
To: mgs at autox.team.net; Thomas Gunderson <thgun at comporium.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES

 > Where can I find info on converting shoe to disc on the front od a
1957 mga rst 1500?

Barney answered your question but I want to ask one.

Why? Unless you are routinely careening down mountain roads the MGA drum brakes are more than adequate for  a street driven MGA. Even many vintage raced MGAs do not convert to discs (even when they are allowed to do so). The limiting factor for stopping distance will always be tire traction. Put your money into good tires (most MGA size tires are for economy cars and not sports cars) and I think you'll find the brakes are fine. This of course assumes drum brakes/linings/etc are all in good condition. Which, with brakes being very high on the List of Important Things, they should be.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

Mgs at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html