[Mgs] Tires

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Jan 29 23:06:24 MST 2020

Well, I screwed up.  Reading the MG Experience forums I bought Douglas tires at a great price.  Taking off the old tires tonight I found they were Dunlop SP-20s made in 1999.  Wow!  The size on the tire was 165R15.  Without looking and going by the recommendation of the MG Experience web site I bought 14 inch tires.  Crap.  Now I have to try to take them back.  They have not been mounted so they are still just like I got them.  My question is, what the heck size tire should I get for a 15 inch wire wheel rim?  The MG Experience forum is saying 185/70 R15 is closest, (1/4 inch smaller) but not readily available for a decent price.  A 185/65 R15 is the next most popular tire, but smaller in diameter by an inch than the Dunlops I am taking off.  165R15 tires are 25.65 inches in diameter.  My head is about explode.
Mike MacLean