[Mgs] NOS Speedo Angle Drive

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sun Jan 26 11:49:35 MST 2020

Recently I won a NOS speedometer angle drive to replace the old one on my 69 GT.  The instrument was pulled recently for a rebuild due to the odometer not working.  Probably my fault, but I was looking for a way to lubricate the old angle drive and removed the slotted cover by turning it with a large screwdriver.  I did not notice that it was staked in place and not threaded into the angle drive body.  Inside I found nylon worn gears that looked a little worn, but still serviceable.  When I could not figure out how to re-stake the slotted cover I just turned to Ebay.  I won an auction for an NOS angle drive for less than the Moss price.  I thought I beat the system, but found out that there was a problem.  I guess after a number of years the lubrication hardens up.  To turn the gears I need to use needle nose pliers.  There is a lot of resistance to turn it.  Any idea how to loosen this up?  I put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes to try to soften the hardened grease, but no success.  Or should I just spring for the Moss angle drive?Mike MacLean

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android