[Mgs] High torque starters

Barrie Robinson barrob at bell.net
Wed Jan 22 08:06:29 MST 2020

Hello Rick,

I have had several high torque starters on my MGB GT V8 which has a 3.5L
Rover V8 motor.   I went through several as they kept on breaking -
about 3 I think.    They are great but the lesson I learnt was to get
one from a bullet proof supplier. My first ones were from a local "well
established" outfit whose source of these things was suspect.    They do
work well but cheap ones are not a good idea.  But "clicking" is also a
sign of a dead battery - yes?  But obviously you have checked that.    I
recently put a Pioneer car radio in my MGB.   Found that my battery went
flat after about 6 days.  After messing about trying to find the cause I
discovered that the Pioneer polled the computer in the car - BUT as my
MGB has no computer it continuously polled looking for a
computer...until the battery went flat !!!

Brilliant today's technology !!!

Incidentally, not sure what advantage one gets when one has a "high
torque" starter - My car used to start fine with the old grunt one !!!????

Regards
Barrie