[Mgs] Determine build date for an O/D transmission?

Charley Robinson Charley38 at twc.com
Tue Nov 12 11:39:29 MST 2019

I drive a Prius which has a "push on, push off" switch.  What the switch
does is to use the 12 volt battery to boot up the system, then the HV
battery spins one of the motor/generators to start the engine.  The
engine doesn't have a starter, you see?

The push on/off approach uses a solid state latching relay in the old
app of switching high currents with a low current switch.  It boils down
to a toggled flip-flop and a few AND gates driving a high current
device.  Nothing new there.  Shoot, a solenoid operated operated
starting motor is an electromechanical version from days of yore.:-)

Funny thing is the evolution of the switching.  The early cars had a
starter button.  Then came the spring loaded ignition switch and now
some are using a starter button again.  Amusing...........

CR