[Mgs] Overdrive Diagram

David Councill dcouncill at karamursel.org
Wed Jan 23 15:19:04 MST 2019

Actually, I probably mentioned much of this a few years ago. The old unit worked for several years but at some point, it lost reverse gear and would “free wheel” or appear to be in neutral during de-acceleration. The shop I took it to tried to have the clutch assembly rebuilt or relined but that did not work. Then I did a part search and found that Quantum Mechanics had them for sale. The shop ordered one and said it also did not fit. After this went on over several years and since I was moving to a new job, I asked them to return my transmission. That is when they gave it back to me with the blue label OD. I put it in the car and everything worked, except the OD. So now that transmission is sitting in my garage. I heard from one person that it would not work putting the blue label OD on the earlier dipstick transmission so I thought I would ask. My next step will probably be to devise some tool and extract the oil pump. Plus set up a bench test to verify operation before I try to put it back in the car again.

And yes, all the electrics appear to work. On this blue label model, I did check its solenoid and replaced all the relevant o-rings and seals, just haven’t gotten into the oil pump with the two dimpled plug.

David Councill

72 MGB

64 MGB

67 MGBGT