[Mgs] Overdrive Diagram - Update

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 13:20:52 MST 2019

 OK, attached is a picture of the components as they were installed in my oil pump.  I have removed it, and after carefully examining the assembly, I think I can see why it is not working.  I had the plunger (the item in the middle in the attached picture) installed backwards.  I had the long end of the plunger going down into the pump body, so of course, the plunger riding on the cam would not even contact the plunger going into the body.  When I turned the plunger around, the 2 plungers now come into contact with each other, thus allowing the pump to work.
I'd still be interested in any comments you have (other than "what a s***head").  Also, I'd like to get an exploded diagram of the unit in my car.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Jack

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com>To: Mglist <mgs at autox.team.net>Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 2:13:25 PM ESTSubject: Overdrive Diagram
 Does anyone have a good exploded diagram of the overdrive unit used in a 1971 MGB, that you could send to me?  I am particularly interested in the pump assembly.  I changed the oil in my gearbox this week, using EP 85/90 GL-4 gear oil, as recommended in a recent article in the MG Driver magazine.
While the car was up in the air, I noticed a leak around the plug which holds the pump assembly in place.  So, I removed the pump, careful to keep all the pieces in the order in which they came out.  I cleaned everything up, and reinstalled the pump assembly and plug (part number 466-315 in the Moss catalog), with a new gasket.  I thought I had all of the pieces of the pump assembly (items 62-66 in the Moss diagram) in the right order when I reinstalled it, but when I took the car out for a test drive, the overdrive would not engage.
In addition to trying to keep the pieces in the order in which they came out, I also used the exploded diagram in the Moss catalog (Page 41) as a guide.  The Moss diagram, however, is different than my overdrive unit.  Moss says their diagram is for cars from 1968 to 1980, but apparently, some things were changed during that time frame.  I can't believe the engineers would let anything go unchanged for 12 years!  It looks like the plunger (Moss part number 466-305) shown in the Moss catalog diagram has a roller on the end of it.  My plunger does not have a roller on the end of it.  Maybe this will give you a lead to which diagram I am looking for.

So, that leaves me looking for a good exploded diagram of the unit used in a 1971 model.  Can anyone help with that, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might have done to make the overdrive not work, when it has always worked fine.  Thanks.
Jack Wheeler