[Mgs] MGB fuel problem follow-up

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Wed May 23 21:57:10 MDT 2018

Definitely insufficient fuel flow.  Yoiu should get a gusher at the
hose going to the carburetors, at least a pint per minute.  Start
following the fuel line back from the carburetor toward the fuel pump
looking for an obstruction.  Look for a pinched, possibly where the
fuel pipe might run under the rear leaf spring front mounting
point.  This is a common jacking popint, so if the fuel pupe runs
under there it may have been squashed by jacking the car.

Found nothing amiss there, disconnect output pipe from the fuel pump,
switch on and observe fuel flow there.  If you get a gusher, then the
obstruction is between the pump and carbs.  If slow output from the
pump, try cleaning the screen in the bottom of the pump.  Barring
that, look for obstruction between pump and tank.  For MGA, fuel like
from tank to pump was originally all steel, and the line from pump to
heater shelf also all steel, no hoses at all.  If you find a hose
anywhere around the fuel pump,it is a retrofit.  For MGB, the pumo
was connected with hoses,  The hoses might deteriorate and obstruct
flow,  Or something in the tank might clog the pickup pipe.