[Mgs] H4 or HS4 carbs on an MGA 1600 and Electronic Ignition or Points

Robert J. Guinness guinness at stclegal.com
Wed Jan 10 10:29:59 MST 2018

Here are the reasons for my suspicions.

The prior owner did not drive the car very much.

Fuel Pump (weak slow clicking from the points and sharp blow to the pump
caused increase in performance)

Bad Gas (Problems began almost immediately after refueling.  Lack of
prior driving and severe cold may have settled some debris & water in
bottom of the tank).

Coil (I had similar problems on another MGA that turned out to be an
overheating and failing coil)

Voltage Regulator ( Problems arose after turned on lights and wipers and
heater  --  the starter would not crank and no electrics on failure.
Started it a couple of time with the hand crank though. The seller gave
me the charger as part of the deal and he had a trickle charger
installed permanently in the car.  I was able to recharge the battery
overnight  and then it cranked well.  Of course, it could be the
generator or wiring downstream from the regulator.  It is on my to do list )

The heater control valve also sprang a leak over the distributor, but
that seems to have occurred only after the breakdown.

My question really is whether I should go back to the OEM set up (which
I have n irrational preference for) assuming all the other problems are
already sorted.  Or would I be giving up some significant performance
enhancements.  It did go over the Continental Divide in NC strong and
well at 60 MPH.

--
e-mail signature

Robert Guinness