[Mgs] H4 or HS4 carbs on an MGA 1600 and Electronic Ignition

Eric Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Tue Jan 9 14:54:46 MST 2018

I can't imagine any significant power difference between H4 & HS4 carbs.
The throats are the same. I suspect the HS4 carbs will be a little less
leak-prone. (the rubber grommets on the H4 float bowl tend to be a weak
point, IME) I don't think HS4's came with the decel valve in the
throttle plate - if they did that could be a small difference in power.

I am not a fan of replacement electronic ignition systems. When they
work they work just fine. But when they don't work, replacement of the
entire unit seems like the only option. With points, an occasional
tune-up keeps it working fine. And if something does go wrong when
you're on the road, a tiny kit with spare points & condensor is almost
surely all you'd need to get going again.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC