[Mgs] Wire wheels

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Mon Apr 16 06:45:35 MDT 2018

Tom,

It is mostly a matter of personal preference.  Wire wheels are very
pretty (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder).  They are
also a PITA for maintenance if you driver a lot or if you like
spitired driving.  Original 48-spoke wheels will not hold up to
regular spirited driving on modern radial tires.  60-spokes are
(usually) okay for normal road use.  72-spokes have an entirely
different "too busy" appearance, but are pretty much required for
competition with sticky tires.

But if you still like the things, the switch-over is just a matter of
money and one days work.  You need to change out the whole rear axle
assembly (R&R the U-bolts), because the wire wheel half shafts are
7/8-inch shorter each side (to make up for the length of the splined
hubs).  You may need to change the hand brake cable.  In front you
change the bearing hubs and brake drums (for drum brakes only).

You can take a shortcut and install bolt-on wire wheel
adapters.  This increases track width, placing the tires closer to
the fenders.  It seems to work with standard size tires (5.60/5.90-15
or 155/165-80-15), but wider tires run the risk of rubbong on the
fenders (especially in the rear).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com