[Mgs] Gas tank woes

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Sep 27 01:22:00 MDT 2017

You will have to take it off and swill it out (or did someone already say that? ...), maybe swirling a handful of nuts around to knock off any lightly sticking bits (and if that's going to accelerate the point at which it leaks then it needs replacement anyway).  While it's off check the top of the tank carefully, it often rusts through here first.  Be wary about coating, tanks before 1977 have the pickup filter built into the tank and this is more than likely to clog.  But if there is that much rust inside the metal is obviously thinning, in addition to any external rusting thinning it even more, so you may be wasting your time and a replacement tank would be better.  It depends on your pockets.

Incidentally a 67 wouldn't originally have had a fuel filter in the engine compartment (although the pumps do), and I was told many years ago you can drive a coach and horses through an SU and they won't get blocked.

  My MGB was awakened recently after an unintended 10-year nap. (Thanks Rich!) One of the unfortunate consequences is crud in the gas tank. After I fill the gas tank, the fuel filter gets clogged with rust-colored sludge and we're limping down the road with the engine coughing and backfiring. Is there a fast/easy/inexpensive way to flush the tank? Any other thoughts or sage advice are welcome. Thanks