[Mgs] Gas tank woes

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 15:27:18 MDT 2017

Hi Joe.  I've been through this with a number of cars and unfortunately, there is no fast, easy and inexpensive way to fix this problem right.  The best permanent fix is to replace the gas tank (I found one online for about $160), or remove your tank and have it cleaned and coated inside and out.  There is a compnay called Gas Tank Re-Nu, which does an outstanding job, and guarantees it for life.  I have used them on 2 cars, one which was done 25 years ago, and have had no problems with them.  This approach is a little more expensive than buying a new one (aftermarket), but worth the investment if you are going to keep the car for a long time and/or let it sit for long periods of time.

One caveat, the $160 fuel tank on the internet does not have internal baffles or a drain plug, like the original.  I believe the original style tanks are available from Moss Motors for about $450.  You need tyo decide how long you are going to keep your car, and if it is going to sit for extended periods of time, like it did recently.  This will help you understand which approach is best for you.
Good luck.
Jack