[Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 121, Issue 1

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Thu Jun 1 18:28:39 MDT 2017

The best effective way to troubleshoot it is, sadly, pull the engine and
look. There's only three things it can be - The T/O bearing, the plate
or the bush. If it's the T/O bearing you'll see it immediately. If it's
the bush you'd probably want  to pull the clutch off so you don't get
grease on the plate. One way or the other it does mean pulling at least
the engine and you might as well replace the entire clutch mechanism so
you don't have to do it again for a while. I know it would take a
bleeding but I'd recommend checking the slave and the hose at the same
time. The hose is a bear without the right tools when the engine's in
the car. Make sure you have an alignment tool.

Depending on your style of driving a clutch CAN wear that badly in a
'few years'. I replaced mine about 8 years ago and now it squeals, but
only when I'm driving in the rain and going into first and letting the
clutch out. But mine is a daily driver - variously getting to work in
anywhere from 10 to 40 miles each way. I'd imagine I've got close to
100,000 miles on it.

Glenn